In this series, you’ll see upgrades that can be acheived in any rental space that will add character, color, and personality to your rental without risking your security deposit. I’ll share a different room each time!
Today, let’s talk about the kitchen!
1. CLEAN & CLUTTER FREE. There’s nothing like a clean kitchen and no matter what condition it’s it, when it’s clean it’s going to look its best! This might sound obvious, but you really can’t underestimate the value of having clean surfaces, good looking stove top, and cleared out sink. So let’s start there. Get the kitchen into a good place where you’ve cleaned it to the best of your ability. From here you can evaluate what you need to play up, and what you need to perhaps disguise a little more. If you’re not using something daily, or it doesn’t make you smile to see it, get it off the counter.
2. MOVE STUFF AROUND. We had our microwave in one place for a long time… like four years. One day we decided to try it in a new space and it was so interesting how much space it opened up and what a better use of the counter top was next to the stove! Also – the same thing happened with the trash cans. They had been beside the stove for years, one day we moved them to the wall beside the fridge and more space opened up. Don’t be afraid to move your items around. Often when we move into a space things just go where they fit. As we grow in our space we forget to re-evaluate and try things in a new space.
2. BACK SPLASH. Most kitchens I find myself drawn to have some type of back splash. You know what I’m talking about, beautiful tiles, cool marble finishes, bursts of color… Let’s contrast that with ever rental I’ve ever been in – there’s just the same color paint right behind the stove. No contrast, no tile, no interest. The back splash is an area that always elevates the kitchen space! In order to upgrade it, consider using something removable like peel & stick tiles, removable wall paper, picture frames, or paint!
3. CUTE TEXTILES. Add some colorful or patterned textiles to your space which will instantly add character. They can be draped over handles, parts of a counter that are less attractive, or hang it on a door that needs dressing up!
4. FUNCTIONAL ITEMS AS DECOR. Do you have a matching set of bowls? Perfect. Stack them on the shelf. Do you have a cutting board with cute detailing? Great. Prop it against the back splash. These items can be used, but can also provide decoration to your space which will help both with storage and adding personality.
5. RUG. Kitchens, in my opinion, are always cuter with a rug! Just be mindful that the kitchen can be a messy place so getting a rug that is dark or patterned to hide spills with help. Bonus points if the rug is outright washable! It also makes it a little more comfortable to stand and make meals!
6. PLANTS. I have plants in every room in my house, but I love them in my kitchen. By putting the plants on top of the cabinets and letting the trailing plants grow down I feel like it adds a lot of drama to the space and makes the whole kitchen look more lived in.
Those are the tips I have for now! Which one are you going to try?! I’d love to see it. Tag me on Instagram @bohofrisco. What rooms do you want to see next?
One thought on “Easy Rental Upgrades: Kitchen Edition”
I am continually looking online for posts that can help me. Thx!